With each passing year, the R&RHoF further distances itself from any pretense at credibility. Artists who haven’t gotten the call should be proud.
It’s that time of year again, when the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (aka, the Mistake by the Lake, part 2) reminds us of the depth of their corruption and irrelevance.
That’s right – the annual list of nominees is out. Let’s have a look, shall we?
Category 1: Wait – you mean these people aren’t in already?
- ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA (ELO) – Should have happened years ago.
- JOAN BAEZ – Hugely important for that branch of the R&R tree.
- MC5 – I can’t believe the committee is even acknowledging the existence of a band with such utter lack of commercial appeal.
- PEARL JAM – I’m not a big fan, but absolutely worthy.
- THE CARS – I’d have bet the farm they were already members in good standing. How in the hell have they not made it in by 2016?
- THE ZOMBIES – Again, I’m stunned they’re just now being put forward.
- YES – Fucking Yes isn’t in yet? Oh well, at least Rock pioneers like Madonna have been duly enshrined.
Category 2: Really? Okay, I guess.