I’m sitting here taking in what the collected punditry has to say in the aftermath of tonight’s Veep Debate. These aren’t direct quotes, but most of the comments go something like this:
- “Well, she didn’t answer any of the questions, but she held her own.”
- “She didn’t make any major mistakes.”
- “I think she did a great job of not swallowing her tongue.”
- “She avoided long answers, which minimized her chances of saying something insanely stupid.”
- “At least she didn’t promise to invade Russia.”
- “She won because she didn’t lose tragically.”
To sum up, Talking Points Barbie was selected for the ticket because she’s pretty and holds political and religious views so far to the right she’d make Judge Hathorne nervous (never mind that she couldn’t outwit Kandi from Two and a Half Men). And tonight we’re celebrating how far women have come in America by praising her for not drooling on herself or forgetting what country she lives in?
Fuck all, people – if we wanted to set the bar any lower we’d need a backhoe.
Congratulations. You’ve come a long way, baby.